The New York Bureau of Internal Affairs conducted an interrogation Manhattan North commanders in response to a pro-Palestinian protest at a Park East synagogue last week that sparked outrage and questions about the department's response, the Daily News has learned.
IAB Team 1, which investigates captains and above, conducted formal interviews with Manhattan Northern Chief Ruel Stevenson, its executive director Eric Pagan, deputy chief, Inspector Andrew Native, commander of area operations, and Noreen Lazarus, commander 19th precinct where the protest took place, multiple police sources confirmed.
The investigation has focused on who in the area's leadership should have been at the scene, as well as questions about whether protesters were allowed to get too close to the entrance to the house of worship, the sources said.
Neither the NYPD nor the Captain's Endowment Association, which represents captains and above, responded to requests for comment this week.
What has become a heated political controversy began on November 19, when protesters gathered outside the historic Park East Synagogue on 67th Street, near 3rd Avenue, as prominent New York Jews, including the owner of the New England Patriots. Robert Kraft gathered inside.
A group called Nefesh B'Nefesh was holding an event inside. non-profit organization promotes immigration to Israel of American and Canadian Jews. But it attracted criticism for promoting immigration to parts of the West Bank whose status is under debate and where Israeli settlements are considered by some to be illegal under international law.
Protesters were caught on camera chanting “Intifada,” “Death to the IDF,” and “Resistance, remove another settler.” A leaflet distributed during the protest said: “No squatters on stolen land.” Counter-demonstrators shouted epithets at them.
The incident turned into a political storm.
Outgoing Mayor Eric Adams, who was on a trip to Israel and Uzbekistan when the protest broke out, posted a tweet. judgmental he called it “completely unacceptable” and questioned the police's handling of the incident. Adams privately expressed his frustration to Tisch about the lack of oversight, according to a source with direct knowledge of the conversation.

Barry Williams/New York Daily News
Mayor Eric Adams at the Rhine Boston Road Senior Center on Tuesday, October 28, 2025 in the Bronx, New York. (Barry Williams/New York Daily News)
“He was very angry, honestly the most I've ever seen him with her,” the source said. “I’m sure that partly contributed to the apology.”
The administration's dissatisfaction with the NYPD was also expressed by First Deputy Mayor Randy Mastro, who appeared on the radio show of conservative supermarket magnate John Catsimatidis to criticize the NYPD's handling of the event. “They should never have been this close [to the entrance]“It should never have gotten to this stage,” he said of the protesters.
Elected Mayor Zohran Mamdani made a statement “disappointing” expressions from protesters, but also criticized the synagogue for using “sacred sites to promote activities that violate international law.”

On Saturday, Police Commissioner Jessica Tisch, who was hired by Mamdani, visited the synagogue Shabbat services and apologized after the NYPD allowed protesters to get too close to the entrance.
“People have the right to protest, including within sight and earshot of a house of worship. They have the right to say things that are incredibly painful to hear. I understand that pain deeply and personally,” Tisch said. “But the right to say such things is protected by the First Amendment, and the NYPD must protect that right.
“Our other goal that night was to make sure people could get in and out of the synagogue easily. That's where we failed. And for that, I apologize to this community.”
The mayor's office did not respond this week to a request for comment on the Department of Internal Affairs investigation.





