Stubborn fire still smouldering in walls of Thorncliffe Park highrises

There was no timetable Saturday for when residents of the 408 apartments would be able to return to their homes.

Contents of the article

Residents of two high-rise buildings in Thorncliffe Park who had to be evacuated due to a fire last week still do not know when they will be able to return to their homes.

Officials say firefighters are battling the fire, which has been smoldering since Thursday and is believed to be fueled by insulation stuck between the walls of two apartment buildings at 11 Thorncliffe Park Dr. and 21 Overlea Blvd.

Contents of the article

Contents of the article

Officials previously said the fire, which forced the evacuation of all 408 apartments in two high-rise buildings, was believed to have been caused by an electrical fault.

Toronto firefighters have been battling a stubborn fire inside two apartment buildings at 11 Thorncliffe Park Dr. and 21 Overlea Blvd. since Thursday, November 27, 2025.
Toronto firefighters have been battling a stubborn fire inside two apartment buildings at 11 Thorncliffe Park Dr. and 21 Overlea Blvd. since Thursday, November 27, 2025. Toronto Fire Department photo /Published by X

Speaking at the scene Saturday, acting division commander Robert Hewson of the Toronto Fire Service said carbon monoxide levels had dropped, but the fire was still burning in hard-to-reach areas inside the walls and it was unclear when residents would be safe to return.

Advertisement 2

Contents of the article

“I would describe it as a smoldering fire in a very tight, confined space,” Hewson told reporters at the scene. “And there everything is still burning and smoldering.”

“We won’t be able to see it,” he added, referring to the persistent fire.

Read more

The cause of the fire is still being investigated

Authorities say the cause and origin of the fire are still under investigation.

More than 100 people were housed in nearby hotel rooms with support from the City of Toronto and the Red Cross.

Mayor Olivia Chow visited the scene on Saturday and spoke to the media.

“My heart goes out to all the residents who had to flee their homes last night. We are here for you. You are not alone,” Chow said.

[email protected]

@sundoucette

Contents of the article

Leave a Comment