The State Department is ordering its agencies to stop processing all Afghan national visas, according to an internal document obtained by the Daily Caller.
Two National Guard members were shot in Washington, D.C. on Wednesday, believed to be an Afghan national who entered the country in 2021. West Virginia Air National Guard specialist Sarah Beckstrom died Thursday from wounds sustained in the attack, while U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolf remains in critical condition. After the tragedy Trump called that every foreigner entering the country following former President Joe Biden's withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan must be re-evaluated.
The State Department is taking action on the president's words and ordering the cancellation of all pending applications for national visas to Afghanistan, according to an internal document obtained by the caller.
“The Trump administration has no higher priority than keeping Americans safe and has launched a whole-of-government effort to protect America's national security,” Principal Deputy Press Secretary Tommy Pigott said in a statement. “That's why the State Department took action today to suspend visas for Afghan citizens to enter the United States following the horrific terrorist attack on the National Guard.”
Trump spoke about the shooting on Wednesday.
“We must now re-screen every foreigner who entered our country from Afghanistan under Biden, and we must take all necessary steps to ensure that any foreigner from any country who does not belong here is expelled, or benefit our country, if they cannot love our country, we do not need them,” Trump said after the shooting.
“America will never cave and never yield in the face of terror, and at the same time, we will not be deterred from the mission that our military members have so nobly accomplished,” he continued.
NEW: The State Department is ordering all its employees to stop processing and deny entry on all Afghan national visas, according to an internal document obtained by @DailyCaller. pic.twitter.com/i39Rsm4jE5
— Reagan Reese (@reaganreese_) November 28, 2025
Trump swore on Friday in a TruthSocial post calling for a halt to migration from all “third world countries” in response to the shooting.
Rahmanullah Lakanwal allegedly carried out the attack on Wednesday and it was previously reported that he worked with the US government, including the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). He arrived in the USA in 2021 as part of the Biden administration's Operation Welcome Allies, which resettled Afghans who were assisting U.S. forces. More than 180,000 Afghans have been displaced and resettled in America since the U.S. military pulled out of Afghanistan in August 2021, according to the 2024 statement. State Department. (RELATED: Afghan Suspect in D.C. National Guard Shooting Allowed Under Program Biden Says It's Safe)
Lakanwal applied for asylum in 2024 and was granted it in April 2025. Reuters This is reported with reference to documents.
The suspect allegedly shouted “Allahu akbar!” before opening fire with a revolver, freelance journalist Julio Rojas reported.
“This heinous attack was an act of evil, an act of hatred and an act of terror. It was a crime against our entire nation. It was a crime against humanity,” Trump said during his speech on Wednesday.
Editor's note: This article has been updated with a statement from the State Department.






